Monday, June 15, 2015

Team Brenna

I'm a fan of Brenna Dowell. I wasn't always...in fact I remember bashing her a little bit to my younger sister when I was watching some meet. But that was before I really knew much about her. Upon further research I came to appreciate her unique, innovative bar routine that was amazing-when she hit. Of course, that is the most important point. If you can't hit in competition, it's pretty much all for nothing. And Brenna, she wasn't always the most consistent (usually due to injury). But, I saw past that and focused on her potential. I even sent her a "fan letter" and she wrote me back the nicest response.

Furthermore, I was angry when she was screwed over at the 2013 worlds, I was biting my nails for her during last years disastrous Secret Classic performance and I was bummed when she announced her retirement from elite in favor of college.

After a great first NCAA season, Brenna is now going elite again in hopes of making it Rio or at least this years Worlds. I'm hugely excited about this but sadly, I don't think she has much of a chance. Al Fong has never been exactly in Marta's good graces and then there is that consistency issue. If Brenna can get herself a new coach (Gym-Max?) and stay healthy, I think she at least has a shot at some more international assignments.

Either way, Brenna if you are reading this, I'm rooting for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment