Monday, December 5, 2016

Revisiting My Hopes for 2016

Back in January I wrote a post about what I *hoped* to happen this year. Let's see how it all panned out shall we? My current thoughts will be in bold.

  • I have an ideal team for Rio but there are a lot of variations that I'll be happy with so basically, I just want a team that's earned it and that deserves to be there. Sorry Grace, you are going to be sickened and disappointed by the blatant disregard for scores and favoritism in selection process.
  • Additionally, I really want Norah Flatley on that team. Ouch. How about if I said she didn't even compete at Trials at all? Let alone Nationals or Classics? Hoping she'll be back strong this year.
  • I want Simone to make her Olympic mark and win the AA. Yes ma'am. But come on, that was a given.
  • Way deeper fields everywhere, I don't want to already know the outcome for every event in advance. See my "Rio Reflections" post. The fields were so shallow that most could have predicted half of the podiums before anyone even competed.
  • Romanian redemption. Now this is just sad. Romania didn't even make it to Rio so...
  • Someone in the US to really shake things up, a dark horse that no one saw coming. (Coming soon to a theater near you!) Nope, though Skinner did shake me up a bit and make me a fan after years of being critical of her.
  • Good showing for the returning veterans (Ponor, Mustafina, Yao). No Yao and Ponor being in Rio was such a travesty that I was almost glad she underperformed. At least Mustafina did the job, even if she did it with some gifts from the judges.
  • The new Seniors to come in and actually be in the mix for Rio. Ragan Smith I guess, but come on, she had alternate written all over her.
  • Exciting competition during the Trials. Oh yes, it was exciting. Too bad it was all for naught when the committee took whoever they wanted anyway.
  • A lovely, feeling inducing, song to go along with the fluff montages during Rio. Hey, I'm still jamming out to Phillip Phillips "Home". Still no idea why this didn't happen.
  • Leotards that are creative, especially in the US. In my humble opinion, the Under Armour ones from Glasgow left a lot to be desired. YES FINALLY.
  • Fair judging. Mustafina's bronze, the Chinese getting screwed over on bars...nope.
I should be feeling pretty disappointed but this one actually came true: And I guess that's all I can think of for now. Additionally, on a personal level, I really just want to have the time of my life at the Olympic Trials.

My 2017 "hopes" will be here soon!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment