Monday, January 26, 2015

Upgrades Vs. Consistancy

The way I see it, these two are POLAR opposites. One has great form, one has crap form. One has a ton of difficulty, the other does not. One focuses on the technical aspect of the sport before chucking skills, the other chucks and chucks and chucks.

So what is better? To chalk your routine full of difficulty even if you're sacrificing form and technique? Or is it better to compete at a rather low difficulty, risk coming up short, and trying for more refined skills.

Personally, I think Ross's approach is a lot better in the long run and for the sport. Skinner has been upgrading on nearly every event since Worlds and it has me scratching my head. She did not beat Ross out in the AA and she came up short on floor. Her difficulty was MUCH higher than both Ross and Mustafina respectively but her technical issues put her behind them.

If I were MyKayla, I would have gone home and worked on my form and technique because clearly there are problems there. Instead, she's adding more difficulty to try and overrule the form deductions. Why oh why?? I would have a lot of respect for her if she kept her routines and worked on cleaning them up.

Meanwhile, Kyla is always working on cleaning up, I mean always. And it has done her a lot of good. She has been super consistent and it has paid off. Now that she has worked on her form, technique etc., she can focus on upgrading which she plans to do this year. I would have said that Kyla waited way too long to upgrade but after her success at Worlds, I'd say she did the right thing.

It's hard to say what will pay off in the end. Will Skinner's skills push her past Kyla's consistency and refinment? What do you think??

No comments:

Post a Comment