Monday, February 29, 2016

Mckayla Speaks



Thoughts on Mckayla Maroney's Wednesday Gymcastic interview...

  1. First off, though we all knew it was coming, I'm quite sad that we won't see her in competition. I think she really had so much to offer after London. If anyone could nail a triple, it would be her. I teared up a little bit when she said she just the other day was able to tell someone that she wouldn't be in Rio. That's got to be so hard for her. 
  2. I was really impressed by the way she spoke. I think because of her other youtube videos that were very teenager, I was expecting something similar. Instead, she sounded very mature and adult. Underneath all of the "likes", she is very well spoken. 
  3. The revelations about USAG and the thirty day nonstop pre-London camp...holy cow what? No wonder so many people get hurt before big comps if this is how they train them. And who was given a flashback to Abby Lee Miller of Dance Mom's screaming "Everyone is replaceable!" when Mckayla said no one is ever really on the team until they compete and how she was told she would be replaced if she was too hurt. 
  4. The AOGA stuff. It must have been really hard for Mac to speak so honestly about her coaches but I could tell that it was important that she told her full story. There wasn't bitterness to what she was saying at all which was very impressive to me. Still, it really sucks that her coaches "messed her up mentally" like they did. It made me really sad to think of all of the other girls having fun on the bus and Mckayla not being allowed to participate. 
  5. I'm so glad she finally feels healthy and it's inane to me that there isn't already a nutritionist working with these girls. And training with injuries as she did, that does so much harm. But at the same time, as she said, the team did achieve their goal. But at what cost? I can't help but wonder if she could still be competing if the methods of training hadn't been so harsh. 
  6. The leotard line. Please Mckayla, no pink! I have high hopes for her though, because her leo from 2013 (the ombre peacock one) was really cool. 
  7. The music career makes me nervous but I'll be rooting for her. She seems to be going about it in a good way. 
I met Mckayla at 2014 Classics and it was one of the most exciting moments of my life. She was so nice to everyone and she asked to shake MY hand when I got up to get her autograph. I remember telling her that I was rooting for her to make it to Rio. And she said, "I'm going to try my best, I'm going to do it". I could tell then (and backed up by the interview) that her attempt to comeback was serious and she had so much fire! That's what makes me the saddest. But I know she gave it her all and some things just don't work out. I'm glad she is at peace with everything now and I wish her all the best of luck in the future!

Please excuse the scary smiley face but I'm anonymous so it is what it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment