Monday, August 8, 2016

All I Wanted Was a Fair Competition

And thank God, we got one.

So, ok, the bar finals thing is mega screwed up but ALY IS IN THE AA! The idea of this not happening has been stressing me out for so long and I feel like I can sit back and really enjoy Rio now. Granted, she hasn't won her silver medal yet but I have confidence that she'll stay her usual consistent self on Thursday.

As I mentioned before, I was on an island all weekend and I had a nice time. But every now and then, as I was laying on a raft or eating a steak or reading on a porch swing. I would remember the qualifications happening Sunday and literally shudder.

One, I was nervous about getting home in time to watch them (no livestream on the island so I was counting on good ole NBC broadcast). And two, what if Aly didn't make it?? Ugh, the suspense.

Happily, someone else had to get off the island at an earlier time on Sunday so I didn't have to be the one to make a fuss about getting home in time. And I would have made that fuss too. No shame, no game.

Anyhow, we rolled in around 6:30 and I had time to eat dinner and move the comfy chair right in front of the TV (I'm slightly visually impaired, don't judge). Can I just say that I hate how NBC won't just show the whole darn thing at once??? Why did I need to sit through two hours of swimming? And I like swimming, but not for two hours.

Enough about my sad life, back to gymnastics.

I pretty much thought Aly had it in the bag after floor and vault. No, I'm totally kidding, I knew nothing is counted on until the last event which happened to be the ominous balance beam. Gabby's floor, I have to say, looked terrible. The afterthought of a back tuck, the horrible choreo and the lack of passion...just bad. Sorry not sorry. But other than that, she competed ok but Aly did great on all but that blasted near-fatal balance check on beam. I felt like I was going to vomit while waiting for that score.

But it was enough! Go Aly! Redemption is here at last!

Two last things:
  • People saying Gabby was being a better sport than Jordyn in 2012 freaking pisses me off. First of all, the two situations are so completely different that it's laughable to even compare them. Second of all, Jordyn was anything but a brat or a diva, while (ahem) I can't say that about the former. 
  • FINALLY WE HAVE A LEOTARD THAT AMERICA CAN BE PROUD OF. It was a thing of beauty (totally reminded me of Kyla's from 2015 nationals by the way). It was so lovely that I'm worried they can't top it for team finals. I hope they don't show up in some another snoozefest of a red leotard tomorrow. 
See you all then!

No comments:

Post a Comment