Thursday, July 14, 2016

Dear Shannon Miller, I'm sorry you had to touch my sweaty back...

Ok, a little backstory:

Ten years ago I had back surgery. Somewhere during the titanium rod welding to my spine and the failed lung collapse, my kind surgeon did a bit of nerve (gland?) damage. The result is that on my abdomen and back, I only sweat on my right side and to compensate for the left, I sweat twice as much. TMI? Nah. It's not as though it happens all the time, but when I'm hot or nervous or working out or whatever, I've been known to soak through one side of a camisole. Cute.

Well, I found myself both hot and nervous before day one of the Olympic Trials because I'd a), been out in the sun for hours and b) been wearing a heavy black leather backpack. Then I was nervous because, hello, there was Shannon Miller! My all time favorite! But I wove my way to her (no one else even noticed her but for two little girls. Like, get with the program people!). Anyway, I went over and told her how much I admired her, and loved her book and blah blah blah. She was very nice and happily obliged when I asked her to take a picture with me. Unfortunately ,the side of my body that her arm ended up going around was my right side.

The sweaty side.

Oh well. Such is life.

More Olympic Trials memories to come!

2 comments:

  1. You are so lucky you got to meet her! 1/2 sweaty back and all. I saw Carly Patterson and Sam Peszek signing autographs out front. I also saw Svetlana Boginskaya in the arena, but that's it. I knew all the greats were around me, but no sightings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way! Like I knew all of the past Olympians were milling around but it was just so crowded! With Shannon, I felt so lucky because I was planning on getting in line for an autograph after the doors opened that day. That would have required getting a decent spot in line to get in (and wow, did that line grow fast until it wrapped around the arena!), finding Shannon's booth and *hopefully* being in the group of 300 people they had time for. The fact that I caught her right before she went up and spoke at the opening ceremony was such a blessing! And then from there I waited in line for like 40 minutes for Carly and on day two, about an hour and a half for Kyla!

      Delete