Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Little HIstory

I've been a full fledged gymnastics fan for the past two years. I caught bits and pieces of Athens as a 10 year old and vaguely knew who Carly Patterson was. I got more involved with each Olympics. In 2008, I stayed until one in the morning watching the All-around but I had no idea how anything worked. In 2012, I closely followed London and was captivated for life. Since then, I now know that the sport is so much more than the Olympics. I follow it all year round and can't wait for the World Championships this year!

Other than flipping around in my yard, I haven't done gymnastics a day in my life. I would have loved to though, my mom was a gymnast. But my dad was against the sport for the injury factor and I had back problems that would have prevented my from it anyway. Still, it is my biggest regret.

I'm a fairly opinionated person and it didn't take me long to form some strong opinions about gymnastics! Here are a few

  • Shawn should have won the 2008 All-around
  • Khorikina was good, but overrated 
  • So was Mary Lou
  • Shannon Miller was the best female gymnasts the USA has ever seen
  • Skinner should be nowhere near a World's team but will be on it by default
  • Marta is an evil dictator
I'm sure more will come out in time :). As selection camp starts tomorrow, my predictions will be posted then as well!
-G-

No comments:

Post a Comment